Sounds like you're new to Polis... Welcome! Here is your quick and easy guide to starting your door knocking success:
Set up your organization
An organization is a hierarchy that informs what data/surveys/contacts your users have access to. Think of it like a national organization that has state and local branches where the national organization wants to monitor the sub-organizations but does not want them to be able to see each others' information.
- When you first log into Polis, click “Team” on the left menu:
- And then click “Organizations” on the Team Page:
- Add or edit your sub-organizations until your account is set up how you want it
Users who have access to a sub-organization will see all the data in that sub-organization but no data from other organizations or the parent organization.
Users who belong to the parent organization have access to all of its children organizations.
See more information about organizations here: "Organizations".
Import contact lists
A contact list is a list of people that your organization wants to contact. For political campaigns this is usually a list of voters (honed by political party, voting likelihood, etc.). For door-to-door sales organizations, this is a list of sales prospects (which can include everyone in an area or can be honed by likelihood of purchase).
You can add a contact list by following these steps:
- Click "Contacts" on your left-hand menu
- Click "+Add New List"
- Give you list a name and click "Save"
- Click "+ Add Contacts" and choose your desired import method:
Follow these instructions to add individual contacts by hand: "How do I add contacts?"
Follow these instructions to import contacts from CSV: "How do I import data from a CSV?"
Follow these instructions to import contacts through an integration: "How do I import data through an integration?"
Set up your campaign and your survey
Campaigns (à la marketing campaigns) are lists of surveys and targeting logic that inform users where to go and what to say when they're knocking doors for your organization. Start a campaign by following these steps:
- Click "Campaigns" on your menu bar:
Make sure you are in the right organization for this campaign. Sub-orgs cannot see parent organizations' campaigns so you need to set up an active campaign in each of your organizations.
- Click "+ New Campaign", type in the Name and Description of your new campaign and click "SAVE":
- Start your campaign by determining what contact lists you want this campaign to target. Start typing in the "Contact Lists" line and your lists will come up for you to choose from. Click "SAVE" when you're done:
Remember that everyone in your organization will have access to these contact lists on mobile.
- Click your "Default Survey":
- Add questions by clicking "+ Add Question":
- Choose which question type you would like to start with:
- Type your question into "Question Text" and the tag that you want to use for exporting this question's responses and seeing them on your dashboard into "Question ID"
- Click "SAVE". Now you have a survey! Keep adding questions to fill it up:
Invite your users
Adding users is easy!
- Choose “Team” from the left menu bar:
- Under the “Users” tab, click “+Invite”.
- Type in the email of the person you want to add, identify which organization you want them to be in, and decide if you want them to be a canvasser or a manager. Then click "SEND INVITATION".
Canvassers can only access the Polis mobile apps, whereas managers can monitor the data on Polis desktop and can activate/deactivate users in the organizations they are a part of. Users can access any sub-organizations connected to parent organizations that they are part of.
- Within minutes the invited user will get an email that looks like this:
- When they click "JOIN HERE" they will be prompted to fill out the rest of their information (or login if they already have an account) and then they are ready to start knocking doors using Polis!